A Guide To Finding The Best Kids Shower Head
When your kids start to tell you that they want to “also go in the shower like the big people do!” you may be a little hesitant, a shower wasn’t built for little ones, will they even get the benefit of the falling water, they are so short! What if the water gets into their eyes?
One way you can make sure that they will still get clean while having still having fun is by installing a shower head specifically made for your child into your shower.
Once you decide that you and your child are ready for them to start showering instead of bathing, you need to be careful of how you introduce them to taking a shower as it can be quite an overwhelming experience.
Tips for introducing kids to the shower
- First things first, show them how the shower works. Explain that they should turn the cold water on first and slow add hot water, show them where the water comes out of and what they should do if there is too much water or if they want to get out. This is very important, in a shower, your child is in control which is vastly different to a bath.
- This might sound odd but you will need to teach your child how to wash themselves and their hair, this is because, in all likelihood, you have been assisting at bath time. Remember to tell them to close their eyes when they rinse the shampoo out of their hair. A good idea is to show them that there will always be a face cloth hanging in a specific spot should they get shampoo in their eyes and it starts to burn.
- A good idea to help avoid your child slipping and falling is to let them sit on a plastic chair or mat in the shower, this will also help them feel more secure.
- If your child has shown an interest in showering instead of bathing, explain to them that the water will go into their eyes sometimes when they shower. To help them get used to that sensation, splash some water onto their face at bath time, or better yet, use a hand held shower as their first introduction.
- When your child takes their shower for the first few times, perhaps it would be a good idea for you to stay in the bathroom in case they get scared or need you. Generally from the age of 6 children are fine to shower on their own.
- Let your child know that if they don’t enjoy the shower as much as they thought that they would, they can always go back to bathing and it wouldn’t be a problem at all. A good idea is to say to them at bath time “Would you like to bath or shower tonight?” so that they don’t feel like they have to have a shower.
- One last tip to get your child to enjoy a shower is to install a shower head designed for children. The water pressure can be quite severe on your child because they are so short, shower heads specifically made with children in mind connects to the original shower head and lowers the outlet for the water so that there is much less pressure on your child.
They also make the shower experience so much more fun as they come in different colours and shapes, some of them are even interactive.
There are so many advantages of investing in a special shower head just for your child:
- As mentioned earlier, it makes the shower more enjoyable for your child by lowering the water pressure on them. The water becomes a lot more gentle and so it isn’t such a scary experience.
- A shower head that is designed just for kids is such a great tool to use to introduce your child to the shower. Not only will them taking a shower make them feel more independent, it gives you some free time. Although you do need to be close by in case they need you, especially in the early days.
- When your child used to have a bath, it was such a fun time because of all of the toys and colours, a shower can seem quite boring in comparison. A shower head made for kids is colourful and often very interactive with sounds and buttons, making showering as fun as bathing.
- Most of the showerheads designed for children are made so that it is an easy transition to changing back to the normal shower head. This is very beneficial, especially if there is only one shower in the home.
- Probably the best thing about getting your child their very own shower head is that you can get one that matches their interests. Do they love animals? Why not get them a lion shower head? Do they love cartoons? A Disney themed shower head will be right up their ally. This will act as a motivator for them to take a shower if they are a bit hesitant at first.
With so many different options of different shower head options for children on the market, it’s difficult to know which one to choose and so we have put together a list of our top three kids shower heads:
1. Oxygenics 79368 Mickey Mouse Combo Shower Head
Oxygenics Micky Mouse Shower Head Combo: this cute Disney mouse has 15 different spray settings so that your child can find one that makes them feel the most secure. It also has a rubber grip for safety and a three-way diverter making it easy to transition back to the regular showerhead.
2. ConservCo Fun & Adorable Bath & Shower Wand for Kids
ConservCo Fun & Adorable Bath & Shower Wand for Kids – Hippie the Hippo: an easy to install, brightly coloured shower head that your kids will love! It has 51 spray jets as well as a two-way diverter. It comes with suction cups so that you can adjust the height of it as your child grows.
3. GINSEY INDUSTRIES 4210 My Own Child Shower Head
Ginsey My Own Child Shower Head: the great thing about this shower head is that it is completely adjustable so your child can move it around until they feel comfortable. It has quite a small and soft spray so is perfect for a child who is just starting to take showers.